Videos aren’t inherently accessible. Even if the content comes from an outside source — like a videographer or a YouTube channel — you’re still responsible for ensuring that every visitor on your website can fully access it.
Video can serve many purposes for a website:
- Home page videos featuring company founders or illustrated walk-throughs of a solution can serve as a unique welcome to the site;
- Product videos give customers a better look at your inventory which helps in the decision-making process;
- Background videos can be a nice change of pace from otherwise static content;
- Blog post videos can provide readers with an alternative approach to consuming content;
- Video content gives websites better opportunities to rank in search (like showing up under Google Videos or on the first SERP for a relevant “how to” question).